Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Statement
At WHSmith Australia we value our team for their unique qualities, ideas, and insights. People bring a range of skills and perspectives to the workplace. This may be due to gender, race, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, intersex status, or other differences. We recognise that every team member and their story counts if we are to really build a workplace where everyone can truly be themselves.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) action plan sets out how we are working towards our goal of creating an environment where everybody is welcome and feels they can belong. It is focused on three themes: improving awareness and education through better communication and colleague engagement; improving data quality, processes and systems; and widening external partnerships and collaborations.
The plan includes new policies and initiatives to be implemented over the next 18 months:
- We will provide training for team members for topics such as Indigenous Cultural Awareness, Disability Awareness and Mental Health First Aid
- Support our LGBTQIA+ team members with inclusive People policies
- Celebrate days and events to promote diversity awareness and inclusion, such as International Women’s Day and NAIDOC week.
- Support diversity specific employee networks for staff to connect and share their views, experiences and information.
- Our Reconciliation Action Plan. This is currently in development and planning for consultation. For release in 2024.
We’re committed to promoting a culture of inclusion and diversity through our policies, procedures and working practices, aiming to ensure everyone is treated equally throughout their employee journey with us.